Theodore Fay Elliott (1888-1958)

Long Time Employee of Art Monument Company

Theodore Fay Elliott, through his employment with Art Monument Company Ltd., helped leave a significant legacy on the grounds of Mountain View Cemetery. The company designed many of the grave markers that today commemorate the pioneers who helped build the City of Vancouver.
Theodore Fay Elliott (called Fay) was born in Farmington, Washington Territory, USA on October 14, 1888. His parents were John Hess Elliott and Nettie Florence (Faris) Elliott. Fay’s paternal great grandparents, James Elliott and Mary E. (Laughlin) Elliott, were frontier farmers from Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Theodore Fay was named after his maternal uncle, Theodore Thompson Faris, of Page County, Iowa.
At nine years of age, Fay arrived in Vancouver with his parents and younger sister, Elva Eleanore Elliott. He spent his childhood in the Fairview Slopes neighbourhood, excelled at sports, and began work as a carpenter in 1906. By 1914, Fay was employed at the Eburne Sawmill where it is believed he sustained an injury to his leg that left him with a permanent disability. He went on to work for John and Vern Whitworth in the sales division of Art Monument Company Ltd. Art Monument was founded in Vancouver in 1919 and its office was located at 602 East 15th Avenue. The company was acquired by Service Corporation International (Canada) Ltd. in 1989.

Theodore Fay Elliott married Eneath Lulu Whitman in Vancouver, BC on January 11, 1911. The couple were members of the Odd Fellows Lodge and lived at 631 East 11th Avenue, Vancouver. They raised two sons, Ray Worth Elliott (1914-1992) and Lorne Quentin Elliott (1919-2001). Fay and Lulu divorced and Fay later married Norma Viola Riley of Saskatchewan. Theodore Fay Elliott died in New Westminster, BC on April 21, 1958.

Theodore Fay Elliott and his sister, Elva Eleanore grew up here in the family home, located at 1167 West 7th Avenue in Vancouver. Their father John Hess Elliott built the home in 1908. The house, which had a view of the local mountains and False Creek, also boasted electricity, city water and indoor plumbing, “modern” features for its day. The kitchen, with wood stove and icebox, was fully equipped for their mother Nettie Elliott, and came with a separate pantry room for her baking supplies. The home’s exterior showcased beautiful Victorian details with clapboard and shake wood siding. There was also an attractive sundeck on the second floor. The home hosted numerous parties and family gatherings including Elva’s wedding reception. The Elliott family home was sold in 1937.

Biography by Raymond Reitsma.


William Templeton

[b. 1853 Belleville; arrived Vancouver (Granville) Jan. 4, 1886.; d. Jan. 16, 1898, Vancouver.]
William Templeton, a butcher, was part of the CPR clique which had benefited from the land grant given the company in exchange for making Vancouver its terminus. Despite his electoral victory, this affiliation aroused suspicion among the city’s working class, whose contribution to public life was on the rise.

Templeton is said to have been a bad political strategist with an aggressive personality. After failing to win a bid for mayor six years earlier (some say because of a slur he made on opponent David Oppenheimer’s accent), he did, however, serve as an alderman and later as school trustee. After losing his seat to James Garden in a bid for re-election, he purportedly committed suicide by taking an overdose of a sleeping potion.

The Hon. Lytton Wilmot Shatford

b.1873.02.04 in Hubbards, Nova Scotia, Canada
In the early 1900s Lytton Shatford and his brother ran a general store in the gold mining town of Fairview, near the present day Oliver, as well as the Shatford Mercantile Store in Hedley. They were one of the first residents of Hedley to build a permanent structure. In 1905, they went on to establish the Southern Okanagan Land Company the purchase of the Thomas Ellis property for $405,000. Thomas Ellis was the eldest son in a family of seventeen and arrived in Penticton in 1865. He became the first non-Native settler in Penticton. He started up a very successful cattle empire and was very influential in the growth of Penticton.

The Shatfords’ Southern Okanagan Land Company subdivided land from the Canadian/American border north for approximately 22 miles. The Company installed an irrigation system in the Vaseux Lake area. In 1918, the Provincial Government of British Columbia bought the property – 22,000 acres – for $300,000.00 for soldiers’ settlement purposes. The government also paid for the construction of an irrigation system: the Southern Okanagan Lands Project.

L.W. Shatford was first elected as a member of the Provincial Parliament in 1903 as a Conservative and held the riding until 1917. That year he was appointed to the sentate by prime minister Robert Borden. In 1913, the first Annual General Meeting of the BC Yukon Chamber of Mines elected Shatford president of the new organization.

Lytton Shatford died in office in 1920. In 1921, the city of Penticton opened the Senator Shatford school in his honour.

His daughter, Vera Victoria Shatford was a designer of home funishings and worked her adult life in various fine establishments, including Lord and Taylor in New York.

The Sentells

Frederick William Sentell, one of Vancouver’s earlier Aldermen and the builder of Vancouver’s first city hall at 100 Powell Street also built many homes in what is now known as Strathcona.

Frederick William Sentell was born in St. John, New Brunswick on May 31, 1858, the son of Edward Sentell and Margaret Blair. He came to Vancouver around 1887.

On May 13th, 1889, 30 year-old New Brunswick-born Frederick William Sentell married 17 year-old Montreal, Quebec-born Alice Slade at Wesley Methodist Church with the Reverend Ebenezer Robson officiating. The wedding certificate records Alice’s parents as John and Margaret Slade. They had at last one son, Frederick Washington Sentell, born in Vancouver on July 4, 1890. Frederick Washington Sentell worked as a teamster, and then as a city fireman from 1917 to 1919 but died during the Spanish Influenza pandemic on January 14, 1919.

Frederick William Sentell died on January 22, 1951 at the age of 92 and is buried in the Old Section of Mountain View Cemetery in plot 1-02-007-0006. Alice Sentell on October 14, 1956 at the age of 83 and is buried with her husband. Their son is buried in the Old section of Mountain View Cemetery in plot 1/02/024/0012.

Of the homes built by Mr Sentell 844 Dunlevy, built in 1899, survives and is currently under restoration by the current owner, architect Graham Elvidge and his wife Kathleen. It was lived in from 1956 until their deaths by George and Clara Winchcombe who also lived on and off at 830 Dunlevy in 1907-1910, 1917, and 1921-1956.

George Winchcombe was born in Kensington, England on August 14, 1880 the son of Isaac Winchcombe and Emma Kearley. His wife, Clara Adelaide Augusta Palmer, was born in England on March 2, 1882. George died at Shaughnessy Hospital on January 6, 1959 at the age of 78 and is buried in the Horne 1 section Mountain View Cemetery in plot 5-01-003R-0002. Clara died at Oakherst Private Hospital on August19, 1966 and was buried with her husband.

Jonathan Rogers

Jonathan Rogers was born at Plas-Onn, near Llangollen, North Wales, and grew up speaking only Welsh. At the age of 16 he moved to Liverpool where he lived for seven years working at various jobs and perfecting his English. In 1887, at the age of 23, and armed with a legacy left to him by an aunt, Jonathan sailed for Montreal and crossed Canada on the first transcontinental train to Vancouver.

Two weeks after he arrived, Jonathan attended a public auction of parcels of CPR land within the newly-created city. He bought four lots in the middle of the forest, land which is now located in the heart of downtown Vancouver. He managed to hold on to the land through the depression of the 1890s, correctly judging that his investment in the fledgling city would eventually be rewarded.

By 1895 Jonathan had set himself up as a contractor and builder and soon became involved in all kinds of construction work – offices, manufacturing plants, hotels, banks, even an electricity-generating station – in what was Vancouver’s first great building and real-estate boom.

In 1902 Jonathan married Elisabeth, a girl from Oswestry, a town near his ancestral home in Wales. They lived close to Stanley Park in a large, elegant house appropriately named Argoed, which in Welsh means beside the wood. Elisabeth was one of the founders and early benefactors of the Vancouver Art Gallery and the Symphony Society.

By the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 Jonathan Rogers was a very wealthy man and a prominent public figure in Vancouver. He spent the last 30 years of his life repaying the city for the opportunities it had afforded him over the years. He held a number of elected and honorary offices in many fields, most prominently serving for 26 years on the Parks Board, one of his prime interests.

Jonathan Rogers died in 1945 and left what at that time was a very large sum of money, a quarter of a million dollars, to various causes in Vancouver. The largest single bequest of $100,000 was given to the City of Vancouver to create a neighbourhood park in a poorer part of the city. After several delays, the park was finally opened in 1958 and called Jonathan Rogers Park in his memory.

from Watermill: Life Story of a Welsh Cornmill
By David Llewelyn Davies 
Hardcover / Ceiriog Press / September 1997

Dugald Campbell Patterson 1860-1931

Dugald Campbell Patterson 1860-1931
Pioneer of British Columbia, Civil Engineer, Builder and Author

One of British Columbia’s most prominent citizens, Dugald Campbell Patterson is known in the City of Burnaby as the pioneer that gave the Edmonds district its name. After settling in Burnaby in 1894, Patterson co-founded Central Park, served as the first postmaster of Edmonds in 1909, and was elected a Burnaby school trustee in 1912.

His other legacies include Patterson Avenue, which he originally built as a trail, and a simple wooden platform stop that he constructed on the BC Electric Railway, that today serves thousands of commuters as Patterson SkyTrain Station.

Dugald Campbell Patterson was born in Partick, Scotland on January 2, 1860. His parents were John Murdoch Paterson, of Rutherglen, and Margaret Purdon of Partick. He was educated in Glasgow, became a ship joiner, then later an engineer. Upon his arrival in Canada on July 1, 1884, he promptly added a second “t” to the spelling of his last name. Dugald married Frances Mabel Webb in Victoria, BC. See the biography of Frances Mabel (Webb) Patterson.

Dugald Campbell Patterson was employed at Armstrong, Morrison & Company, where he oversaw the building of the Fraser River Bridge at New Westminster. He was also foreman boilermaker with the Vancouver Engineering Works. Shortly thereafter, in 1903, he established Vulcan Iron Works of New Westminster, a business that was said to be one of the most important operations of its kind on the Canadian Coast. At the start of World War One, Patterson accepted a commission by the British Government to supervise the construction of submarines on the River Clyde in Scotland. Upon his return home, he founded his own insurance business. Patterson was also a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Foresters.

In 1930, as he neared the twilight of his life, Dugald authored and published a book of poetry. Dugald Campbell Patterson died in Vancouver, BC on June 25, 1931 having made many significant contributions to municipal development, industry and the arts.

Biography by Raymond Reitsma, family historian.

Frances Mabel (Webb) Patterson 1872-1960

Pioneer of British Columbia, Wife, Mother and Insurance Woman

Frances Mabel (Webb) Patterson’s legacies include Frances Avenue, named for her in Victoria, British Columbia, and Patterson House, the family home that today sits at 7106-18th Avenue, Burnaby, a designated heritage building.

Frances Mabel Webb was born in Cradley, England on December 5, 1872. She was the eldest of twelve children born to Joseph William Webb, and Frances Jane (Yapp) Webb of Ridgeway House. Frances was also the granddaughter of Thomas Webb, founder of world-renowned Thomas Webb Crystal. Her maternal great uncle, Richard Yapp, of the Halesend, was High Sheriff of Herefordshire in 1859.
Frances crossed the Atlantic on the SS Lake Winnipeg with her family and arrived in Victoria in 1889. Her father had decided to move the family to Victoria so he could accept a landscape design position for Beacon Hill Park with architect John Blair.

On February 7, 1891, Frances Mabel Webb married Dugald Campbell Patterson at St. James Anglican Church, in Victoria, BC, joining two pioneer families. Frances and her husband moved to Burnaby in 1894 where she farmed the family property, looked after her blind mother-in-law, Margaret (Purdon) Patterson, and raised her seven children. In 1910, as her family continued to grow, she and her husband purchased fourteen acres of land along Edmonds Street at Kingsway and built a larger home with tennis courts and a gazebo. Here, Frances would hold church teas and host meetings for the women’s division of the Liberal Party.

In later years, with the experience she gained from working in her husband’s insurance business, Frances became an insurance agent for the Wawanesa Insurance Company (founded in 1896). She met her clients by using the lower mainland’s vast streetcar system as a means of transportation. This career not only gave Frances a significant feeling of independence, but also gave her an income which lasted well into her retirement years. Frances Mabel (Webb) Patterson died in New Westminster, BC on August 30, 1960.

Biography by Raymond Reitsma, historian.