b. 12.11.1865 in St. Catherines, Canada
William Ditmars arrived in Vancouver in 1891from St Catherines, Ontario and worked for the John Doty Engine Company of Toronto. Soon after, Carey joined the fledgling iron work firm of Armstrong Morrison and Company, eventually becoming a partner. By 1901 he had established himself in the West End in the 1800 block of Barclay Street, west of Denman two blocks from Stanley Park. By 1913 he followed other wealthy Vancouverites up to, the new and exclusive, Shaughnessy Heights subdivision where he built a new house on Pine Crescent.
William served as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of British Columbia & Yukon in 1915 -16. In 1928 the Native Sons of British Columbia awarded him their “Best Citizen” award. And among other achivements he is accredited with bringing the “first horseless” carriage, to Vancouver.
Armstrong and Morrison built many of Vancouver’s early bridges including the Granville Street, Connaught and Westminster Avenue (Main St.) bridges and the now demolished Fraser Street bridge. The company provided the iron components of the Lion’s Gate Bridge.