Caradoc Evans – the first burial at the cemetery

From the notes of JS Matthews, City Archivist, June 21, 1939

Mrs. David Evans, now, 1939, of Seattle, says that Hirschberg,* of Leland Hotel, (suicide) who died 28th Jan 1887, was NOT the first burial in Mountain View Cemetery, as his body and coffin were so heavy it could not be carried over fallen trees and branches lying around in wild profusion when the site was being cleared of forest. She says her little son Caradoc, aged 10 months, who died Feb 26th 1887, and his little coffin, were so light that, when it was proposed to bury it on the North Arm Road roadside, beside Mr. Hirschberg’s, that David Evans objected, and carried over tree trunks, etc to the highest spot of the ridge, and there interred it.

The exact location is 100 yards west of (Cemetery Road, or) Fraser Ave, and 10 yards south of old Bodwell Road, now 33rd East. The grave was afterwards surround with a fence of posts and chains, to be seen in photo No.P.Dist 4, between Alex McDonald’s cottage and the path leading towards the forest. The posts and chains were subsequently replaced with a marble tombstone, with the name “CARADOC” on top, and now, June 21st 1939, covered with ivy. The little grave was photographed, June 21st 1939, with Mrs. Evans beside it.

At the Cemetery

*Hirchberg was buried on the roadside (Fraser Ave), and no record is known to exist showing that his remains were ever moved and placed in the cemetery; it is most unlikely he ever was.

Update: Mr. Hirchberg was eventually buried in the cemetery in the Old section not far from Caradoc Evans.

Advertisements

Captain Charles Atherton Folliott Powell

Captain Charles Atherton Folliott Powell
(Apr 3, 1845 – Jan 26, 1898)

Powell was a Captain in the British Merchant Marine who routinely sailed between England and Australia. He was born in Ashbourne, Derbyshire and had more recently been living in London with his wife Annie (1857-1897) and son Charles. His wife died in 1897 and Charles and his son joined the Helpman Expedition to the Klondike which arrived in Canada in late 1897.

The 13 member team assembled in Edmonton and left for the Klondike in early 1898, assisted by local guides and outfitters. This party intended to carry out mapping and mineral exploration along the way. The expedition party included Major John Henry Helpman, Captain Mathew Evanson O’Brien, Viscount Avonmore (Lord Algernon William Yelverton from Belle Isle, County Tipperary, Ireland), Lt. Col. Augustus Simeon Le Quesne, Captain Edward Wentworth Fisher Holder Alleyne, Captain John Hall, Captain Charles Atherton Folliott Powell, Dr. Samuel Evans Mostyn Hoops, Dr. Francis Hallwright, and Messrs. Charles Atherton Folliott Powell Jr., C.C. Bannister, E.A. Jeffreys and C.H. Simpson. Some of these men were retired British Army and Naval officers, and others were on leave.

While they successfully traveled overland part way, their party separated into two smaller groups and never did reach Dawson City. By 1899 most members of this party had returned to England and Ireland.

Captain Charles Powell was found dead in his bed in Vancouver, B.C. on January 26, 1898 at age 52 after frostbite to his feet in Edmonton. He is interred at Mountain View Cemetery (OLD/3/01/012/0006). There is no marker on his grave. His son Charles Jr. ended up in Austrailia where he died of influenza at the age of 38 in 1919.

According to the Irish Times (Wednesday, December 15, 1897),
“OFF TO KLONDIKE
 Viscount Avonmore headed a party of retired military and naval officers who arrived at New York by the St. Paul on Saturday, bound for the Klondike. In the party were Colonel Le Quesne, Captain Powell, Dr. Hooper, and Messrs. Bannister and Jeffreys. They left immediately for Montreal, where they join Major Helpman and Captain Alleyne, formerly of the 12th Lancers. From Montreal they go to Tacoma for their outfits. Proceeding thence to Yukon, where they hope to make huge fortunes by gold mining. ”

The Route 
From Edmonton, northwest to St Albert towards Pembina River, about 55 miles. Then to Fort Assiniboine to cross the Athabasca, about 42 miles. Then through the Swan Hills to the Swan River, 85 miles, and down to Lesser Slave Lake, 25 miles. Then to Lesser Slave Lake post at the west end, another 40 miles. In the winter this could be done on the ice, about 65 miles total. In the summer it would be about 50 miles. From Lesser Lake Post to Peace River Crossing it was 80 miles. From Peace River Crossing to Dunvegan 85 miles. Dunvegan to Fort St. John, 115 miles. Fort St. John to Fort Nelson 200 miles.

Charles Mair in his book written in 1908, Through the Mackenzie Basin (A Narrative of the Athabasca and Peace River Treaty Expedition of 1899) said the following about the Helpman party.

“What was known as the “Helpman Party” was formed in England by Captain Alene, who died of pneumonia in December, 1897, three days after his arrival at Edmonton. The party consisted of a number of retired army officers, including Viscount Avonmore, with a considerable capital, $50,000 of which was expended. They brought some of their outfit from England, but completed it at Edmonton, and thence went overland late in the spring. But sleighing being about over, they got to Lesser Slave Lake with great difficulty, and there the party broke up, Mr. Helpman and others returning to England, whilst Messrs. Jeffries and Hall Wright, Captain Hall, and Mr. Simpson went on to Peace River Crossing. From there they descended to Smith’s Portage, on the Great Slave River, and wintered at Fort Resolution, on Great Slave Lake.

In the following spring they were joined by Mr. McKinlay, the Hudson’s Bay Company’s agent at the Portage, and he, accompanied by Messrs. Holroyd and Holt, who had joined the party at Smith’s Landing, and by Mr. Simpson, went off on a prospecting tour through the north-east portion of Great Slave Lake, staking, en route, a number of claims, some of which were valuable, others worthless. The untruthful statements, however, of one of the party, who represented even the worst of the claims as of fabulous value, brought the whole enterprise into disrepute. The members of the party mentioned returned to England ostensibly to raise capital to develop their claims, but nothing came of it, not because minerals of great value do not exist there, but on account of remoteness and the difficulties of transport.

Adapted from: http://traverslancashire.net/klondike.html (link not working)

Norman Caple, photographer

From: Camera Workers: British Columbia, Alaska & Yukon, 1858-1950
Norman Caple is supposed to have arrived in Canada in 1888 where he met R.H. Trueman through relatives or friends. The two men formed a partnership and had set up headquarters in Vancouver by 1890. After Trueman & Caple had been dissolved towards the end of 1893, both men continued in the photographic business as N. Caple & Co. and R.H. Trueman & Co. Caple seems to have given up advertising himself as a photographer by 1897.

Married in England in 1892 to Florence Kate Le Grix Akerman (1867-1950), the couple had four sons. He was an active YMCA member and frequently gave lantern slide entertainments there and elsewhere in the early 1890s. Coincidentally, both Trueman and Caple died the same year.

Olaf Elmer Berge

Royal Canadian Navy Stoker 1st class Olaf Elmer Berge, son of Egil George and Ida Helena Berge of Vancouver, was killed in action 16 April 1945, age 20 while serving aboard HMCS Esquimalt. In his honour Berge Inlet was named. Located in Blind Bay, South entrance to Jervis Inlet, Latitude: 49°43’17” , Longitude: 124°10’20” .

HMCS Esquimalt was a diesel-powered Bangor-class minesweeper but operated primarily as an anti-submarine escort. She was torpedoed in the approaches to Halifax, five miles off Chebucto Head, in the morning of 16 April 1945 by a German U-boat U-190, just three weeks before the end of the war. Esquimalt was the last Canadian warship lost to enemy action in the war. Of her seventy-two member crew, only twenty-seven survived.

Henry Ogle Bell-Irving

Henry Ogle Bell-Irving served as Alderman for Ward 4 of the City of Vancouver from 1887-1888, at the same time acting as chairman of the Civic Board of Works. In the fall of 1890, he secured the options to several B.C. canneries and, with the help of English capital, formed the Anglo-British Columbia Packing Company. By April of 1891, the Company had purchased seven Fraser River canneries and two canneries on the Skeena River. In 1891, the Company produced slightly more than one-quarter of B.C.’s total salmon pack. In 1901, H. Bell-Irving and Company Ltd. was incorporated as Canadian agent for the Company, which was British registered. Since incorporation, the Company has remained within the Bell-Irving family for three generations.
Trained in Karlsruhe, Germany, as a civil engineer, Henry was employed as a surveyor-engineer on the Rocky and Selkirk Mountain sections of the Canadian Pacific Railway line in 1882.
Henry built The Strands on Harwood Street in 1910 where he lived until the 1920s

Alexander Mitchell (1847-1931) Pioneer of Richmond and Vancouver

Alexander Mitchell is one of Richmond’s most significant pioneers. He was the first settler to successfully farm in greater Vancouver. He also served as a city councilor in the municipalities of South Vancouver and Richmond.

With ancestors from Aberdeen, Scotland, Alexander Mitchell was born in Masham County, Quebec on May 8, 1847. He traveled to BC in 1877, and arrived in Moodyville now a part of present day North Vancouver. In 1879 he moved to Lulu Island, known today as the city of Richmond. Here, he established squatter’s rights on adjacent Mitchell Island (named for him) before purchasing the 330-acre property for $10 dollars. He built a pioneer homestead and farm on the island property and acquired a further 50 acres of land in north Richmond along the east side of No. 5 Road, between Bridgeport and Cambie Roads.

Mitchell recognized the importance of establishing a permanent link to Vancouver from North Richmond and successfully argued for the Fraser Street Bridge to be constructed in 1893. The original bridge required a hand crank to open for ship traffic to pass through. This vital link helped insure that the development of Richmond would continue well into the future.

Alexander Mitchell was a widower twice before marrying a third time, and he had 7 children. Recognized as a successful farmer, his foresight in the development of Richmond and his belief in the cause of education, Alexander Mitchell died on Mitchell Island on May 17, 1931 at the age of 84.

Mitchell School

In 1905 Alexander Mitchell donated some of his property at No. 5 Road and Cambie to build a school. The structure was completed in 1908 and named for him. In 1922 the building was expanded to accommodate a growing population. The schoolhouse had a side gable roof with a front dormer and featured double hung wood sash windows. Although the original building was demolished in 2008, the additions to the school still stand as a legacy to its founder. Today, Mitchell School, located at 12091 Cambie Road in Richmond, holds the distinction of being the longest continuously operating school in the Richmond School District.

Biography by Raymond Reitsma

Link to City of Richmond: www.richmond.ca/cityhall/archives/exhibits/schools/early/mitchell.htm